Taxing Kindle Issues

Rena George My Kindles, Tax Issues 4 Comments

Just stopping by briefly with some potentially important information.


I recently received an email from Amazon informing me:


Our records are showing we still haven’t received valid tax information for your account.  In order for Amazon to comply with U.S. tax reporting regulations, it is required that all KDP publishers provide valid taxpayer identification. Please complete our short online tax interview by 10/25/2013 to ensure your books remain for sale on Amazon.”


It was that final sentence that panicked me. It appears that unless I complete this tax process (which is a complicated business involving US tax laws) not only can Amazon withhold payments on book sales, but  they can actually withdraw books from sale.


Assuming that I am not the only Kindle publisher to have recently received this email, can I point you in the direction of the fabulous Catherine Ryan Howard’s blog and the invaluable advice offered by her and her friends on the subject.


I spent most of yesterday afternoon reading through this stuff, and now feel a lot more relaxed and confident about tackling what I have to do…so a huge thanks to Catherine, and everyone who contributed information.


Hope you find it as helpful as I did.

In the meantime, if any of you would like to share your own experiences/advice on the subject then please feel free to comment.


Till the next time…


Rena x

Comments 4

    1. Post

      Nightmare is the word, Sue. Apparently I need an EIN (employer identification number) from the tax office in Pennsylvania which, when I tried ringing today discovered that it was closed indefinitely because of the current political situation in America. If anyone can shed any light on this I would love to hear from you. Rx

  1. Hi Rena – I too have Catherine Ryan Howard to thank for the EIN info. I called the US number from here in the UK over a year ago and got my EIN that way – which was immediately accepted by Amazon and prevented me having to pay 30% tax on US earnings.

    So sory to hear that the current situation has prvented you getting through. My advice would be to keep a keen eye on the sitation for the right time to try again AND to use one of those ‘prefix numbers’ you can get off the internet to use when you telephone the US from your landline – making the call just so many pence per minute – as you will likely be on for about 20 mins.

    Janice xx

    1. Post

      Good advice, Janice. I did actually find one of those sites that suggest prefix numbers and cost pennies a minute. I got through too, but only to a recorded voice explaining all US tax offices were currently closed. I can’t believe what is happening over there at the moment. Hopefully the politicians will see sense some time soon and get the country back on its feet. Rx

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.